If you receive a notification about an Instagram post you are tagged in or come across one that you don’t particularly like, you can simply remove your association from it so it doesn’t appear on your profile page. To do this, you’ll need to access Instagram on either an Android or iOS mobile device, as the feature is not available on computers. Follow these steps:
- Launch the Instagram app.
- Open the post you are tagged in.
- Tap the middle of the tagged photo or video. Alternatively, tap the profile icon that appears on the bottom-left corner of the photo or video.
- Tap your username that shows up either in the middle of the photo or in the list of accounts tagged “In this photo” or “In this reel.”
- Select “Remove me from post.”
- Confirm the action
You can also tap the three-dot icon in the top-right corner of any post you’re tagged in — all of which you can access in the Tagged section of your profile page or the main Instagram feed when the post is shared — and hit Tag Options. You should be able to see and select “Remove me from post.”
One thing to remember when you remove yourself from a tagged post: based on testing, once you delete your username from an entry that someone else shares, the person cannot add you back to that particular entry. If for some reason you removed a tag of yourself by mistake, your only recourse is to ask the person to reupload their post and re-tag you in it.